Get ready, because I’m about to change your life. If you’re vegan (or just fat intolerant, like me), the holidays can be a pretty trying time for you. Holiday cookies, gingerbread houses, and, yes, eggnog, are almost categorically out of the question due to the high respective butter/cream content. But! Sign no more, my friends — there is a light at the end of the tunnel. For the next couple of weeks, I’m going to be sharing some of my favorite vegan versions of some classic holiday treats, starting with: Eggnog!
Come on, who doesn’t love eggnog. It’s warm, creamy, and definitely alcoholic. Basically, eggnog is a perfect holiday drink that’s actually pretty easy to make vegan-friendly. All you need is some soy yogurt, almond milk, and a bevy of spices that you probably already have sitting in your pantry as we speak. This is the type of drink that makes you want to curl up in front of a fireplace with some wool socks and watch a Christmas movie. Seriously, it’s that good.
This recipe comes straight from the LUSH blog (who’d’ve known?), and I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to throw together on short notice. Try it out for yourself — I promise, you won’t miss the eggs. Recipe, as always, is after the jump.
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOK TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 15 minutes
SERVES: 4 people
2 cups soy yogurt
3 cups almond milk
1 cup water (or more if desired for a thinner consistency)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp allspice
2 tbsp maple syrup
½ shot brandy or rum per mug (optional)
A sprinkling of nutmeg powder and cocoa powder for garnish
Cinnamon sticks (optional)
- Combine the soy yogurt and almond milk in a blender and whiz it up until it’s smooth and thick. Adjust proportions if you’d prefer a thicker or thinner consistency
- Transfer your smooth mixture to a pot over medium heat.
- Add cinnamon, cloves, allspice, vanilla and maple syrup. Stir rapidly with a whisk for 5-10 minutes—this will create a nice foamy texture.
- Carefully ladle your vegan eggnog into your favorite holiday mugs and add brandy or rum, if desired.
- Give each mug a quick stir with a cinnamon stick and a sprinkle of nutmeg and cocoa powder. Serve warm and enjoy!