Dessert is tough when you’re vegan. Sure, there have been some amazing developments in vegan baking over the past couple of years (Babycakes and The Post Punk Kitchen have been two of my mainstays/godsends), but that doesn’t change that I still yearn for regular, delicious, full-fat pie every once in a while. And don’t even get me started on doughnuts.
Since my pseudo-veganism is the byproduct of a fat intolerance, I have to be extra careful when I eat anything that I don’t make myself. Which means that über-delicious delicacies like doughnuts and cookies have been off the menu for the past couple of years. The few times that I’ve caved and consumed a doughnut, my stomach has paid the price. Sad times.
A couple of weeks ago, my friend Katherine posted a recipe for Mini Vegan Cake Doughnuts, and my doughnut conundrum came to an end. Katherine is a vegan baking superstar, and her recipe (which she whipped up off the top of her head, by the way) seemed too good to be true – four ingredients, minimal effort, and a bevy of delicious mini doughnuts in just under 25 minutes. Seriously, what could be better than that?
The only thing that I didn’t have in my baking arsenal was a mini doughnut pan, which I quickly rectified with help from Amazon. And, as it turns out, these doughnuts are absolutely delicious. Seriously. I fooled my boyfriend into thinking they were the regular thing (“Wait, how can you eat these?”). I’ve since made these little guys several times (by popular demand from my roommate), and I just couldn’t pass up sharing such a great recipe. Secrets this good shouldn’t be kept. Full recipe after the jump!
MINI VEGAN CAKE DOUGHNUTS FROM Kbaked
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 22 minutes
Decoration Time: 10 minutes
- One box vanilla cake mix (I used the vanilla baking mix from Trader Joe’s to marvelous effect)
- One medium ripe banana, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups sparkling water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
FOR THE GLAZE
- 2 cups powder sugar, sifted preferred (sifting removes the lumps from the sugar for a more even glaze)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, plus a little more to taste
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 375. Grease mini doughnut pan
- Peel the banana and mash it in a small bowl
- Pour cake mix and sparkling water into a small bowl. Add the banana and coconut oil and mix (hand or standup mixer preferred).
- Section batter into doughnut pan until sections are about half to three-quarters full, to give the doughnuts room to rise.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until the doughnuts look golden brown on the bottoms
- Let cool in pan, then transfer to a cooling rack until the doughnuts cool completely
- Make the glaze: sift powdered sugar and add the vanilla. Slowly add coconut milk and almond milk one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Dip each doughnut into the glaze about 4-5 times to evenly coat the surface. Sprinkle with sprinkles, and enjoy!